Friday, November 6, 2009

Skin type I, II, or II?

I'm unsure which tanning category to place myself in: I, II, or III.


I do not need to be instructed on the dangers of skin cancer; I am educated.





- I am of 75% First-Generation Italian descent, and 25% English/German. Both of my parents acquire a deep mediterranean tan, and rarely ever burn.


- I have green eyes, medium-dark brown hair, and very, very milky-pinky fair skin.


- I tend to avoid the sun; however, if in direct sun for awhile (I've never timed it) - I do burn.


- I have never truly attempted to tan, and the darkest I've ever been was maybe a shade darker.


- I don't really freckle.





I am unsure of which SPF sunscreen I should wear during this beach season - for the first time, I'd like to attempt to get a tan. How long should I sit out daily? 8-10 minutes? SPF30? Higher? Lower? I do not wish to risk a burn.
Skin type I, II, or II?
If you rarely burn (which sounds as if you're concerned with that part), and if you're willing to tan this summer, then just buy some tanning oil with a little SPF. It's enough to tan, and enough to NOT get burned.





You can lay out in the sun as long as you'd like until you've reached your desired tan. Make sure you don't fry your brains though. And be hydrated lol. Always flip so both sides can get the tan.





I know you're concerned about the dangers, but as long as you don't continously do it, along with going to tanning salons every week, then you will surely be fine. Don't overthink it too much :]
Skin type I, II, or II?
You aren't a 1 if you can tan. You sound like you are a 2 or 3 on the Fitzpatrick scale. The number on an sunscreen (the SPF) represents the amount of time it protects your skin from UVB rays. Assuming it takes you 20 minutes to start turning red, and SPF of 15 last 15 times longer than nothing, so it would "last" 5 hours. But you should always reapply after 2 hours. Since this formula makes it look like numbers are negligible, the higher the SPF, the higher the percentage of UVB rays blocked.


Most doctors and estheticians recommend that a person should wear SPF 15 everyday, for everyday sun exposure. So if you are going to be out activley seeking the sun you want to go 30 or higher. Be sure that you do a skin test before you go out in the sun, one of the ingredients in PABA sunscreens can cause skin reactions.


No comments:

Post a Comment